Manhattan Beach is a coastal city located in southwestern Los Angeles County, California. Known for its stunning beaches, upscale restaurants, and luxurious real estate, Manhattan Beach has become a highly sought-after destination for those seeking a high-end lifestyle by the ocean. With its six distinct areas, each offering its unique features and benefits, Manhattan Beach has something for everyone. However, when it comes to buying a home in this area, there are several factors to consider, such as your budget, location, the type and size of the property, neighborhood amenities, and home features. By taking the time to consider each of these factors, you can find the perfect home in Manhattan Beach that fits your lifestyle and preferences.
1. Budget: Manhattan Beach is known for its luxurious and high-end real estate, which means that home prices can vary widely depending on the location, size, and features of the property. It's most important to know your financial capabilities before starting your search, as it can help you narrow down your options and focus on properties that are within your price range. You may want to consult with a financial advisor or mortgage lender to determine how much you can comfortably afford to spend on a home. Keep in mind, that in addition to the purchase price, you'll also need to factor in closing costs, property taxes, and ongoing maintenance and upkeep expenses when budgeting for your new home. Working with a real estate agent who is familiar with the Manhattan Beach market can also help you find properties that fit within your budget while meeting your criteria.
2. Location: Manhattan Beach is divided into six distinct areas, each with its unique features and benefits.
-Sand section: This area is located near the beach and is known for its oceanfront properties, including some of the most expensive real estate in the city. Many properties in this area have stunning ocean views and are within walking distance of the beach, restaurants, and shops. The sand section is ideal for those who want to live close to the beach and enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle.
- Tree section: The tree section is named for its leafy streets, and is located north of Manhattan Beach Boulevard. Homes in this area tend to be larger and sit on larger lots compared to other parts of the city. The tree section is known for its family-friendly vibe and good schools, with many parks and green spaces for kids to play in.
- Hill section: The hill section is located in the northwest corner of Manhattan Beach and is known for its panoramic views of the ocean and city. Homes in this area tend to be larger and more expensive, with many featuring outdoor living spaces and private pools. The hill section is ideal for those who want a luxurious, secluded lifestyle with stunning views.
- Manhattan Village: Manhattan Village is a gated community located in the eastern part of the city, featuring a mix of townhouses and single-family homes. The community is built around a golf course and offers many amenities, including a pool, tennis courts, and a clubhouse. Manhattan Village is ideal for those who want a more secluded, secure lifestyle with access to high-end amenities.
- Manhattan Heights/Liberty Village: Manhattan Heights and Liberty Village are located in the eastern part of the city, north of Manhattan Beach Boulevard. This area is known for its family-friendly vibe, good schools, and tree-lined streets. Homes in this area tend to be more affordable compared to other parts of the city, making it ideal for families and first-time homebuyers.
- Mira Costa: Mira Costa is located in the southeastern part of the city, near the high school. Homes in this area range from single-family homes to townhouses, with a mix of older and newer construction. Mira Costa is ideal for those who want to be close to the high school and enjoy a mix of single-family homes and townhouses.
3. Type of property: Manhattan Beach offers a range of property types to suit different lifestyles and preferences. Some of the most common property types include:
- Single-family homes: Single-family homes in Manhattan Beach are usually larger and sit on larger lots compared to other types of properties. They offer more space and privacy, making them ideal for families or individuals who want plenty of room to spread out. However, they can also be more expensive to maintain and may require more upkeep compared to other types of properties.
- Townhouses: Townhouses are a popular option in Manhattan Beach, offering a balance of space and affordability. They are typically attached to other townhouses in a row, sharing at least one wall with a neighboring unit. Townhouses often have shared amenities such as a community pool or gym, making them ideal for those who want access to luxury amenities without the expense of a single-family home.
- Condos: Condos in Manhattan Beach are typically smaller and more affordable compared to single-family homes and townhouses. They are usually part of a larger complex, offering shared amenities such as a pool, gym, or community spaces. Condos are ideal for those who want a more low-maintenance lifestyle or who are looking for a second home in Manhattan Beach.
4. Size of the property: The size of the property is an important factor to consider when buying a home in Manhattan Beach. Properties can range from small condos to large, multi-level homes with ample outdoor space, so it's important to consider your lifestyle and the space you need to live comfortably.
- If you have a family or are planning to start one, you may want to consider a larger property with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. You may also want to prioritize a backyard or outdoor space for children to play in or for entertaining guests. Alternatively, if you are a single person or couple, a smaller property like a condo or townhouse may be more suitable and require less maintenance.
-It's also important to consider the layout of the property when thinking about size. Some homes may have large living areas but smaller bedrooms, while others may have a more even distribution of space. Think about how you will use each room and what your priorities are in terms of space and functionality.
-Keep in mind that the size of the property will also affect its price, so it's important to consider your budget when choosing the size of your home. It's also worth noting that larger properties may require more maintenance and have higher utility bills, so be sure to factor in these additional costs when considering the size of the property.
Ultimately, choosing the right size of the property will depend on your lifestyle and preferences. It's important to consider your current and future needs when thinking about the size of the property to ensure that you will be happy with your home for years to come.
5. Neighborhood amenities: Manhattan Beach is known for its beautiful beaches, upscale shopping and dining scene, and a range of amenities that cater to a variety of interests. Each area of Manhattan Beach has its own unique set of amenities, so it's important to research each one carefully to find the one that best suits your lifestyle.
-If you love spending time outdoors, you may want to prioritize a neighborhood with parks, hiking trails, and easy access to the beach. The sand section is located near the beach and offers easy access to the ocean, making it a popular choice for those who love water sports and outdoor activities. The tree section, on the other hand, is known for its tree-lined streets and green spaces, making it ideal for those who enjoy spending time in nature.
-Families with children may want to prioritize neighborhoods with good schools and kid-friendly amenities. Manhattan Heights/Liberty Village is a family-friendly area with great schools, while Mira Costa is located near the high school and has a mix of single-family homes and townhouses.
If you enjoy shopping and dining out, you may want to consider a neighborhood with a vibrant downtown area. The downtown area of Manhattan Beach offers a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- When considering neighborhood amenities, it's important to think about the overall vibe of the neighborhood and whether it matches your lifestyle and interests. Some neighborhoods may be more laid-back and family-oriented, while others may be more lively and suited for young professionals.
-In summary, the neighborhood amenities in Manhattan Beach are diverse and cater to a range of interests. It's important to consider your priorities and preferences when choosing a neighborhood to ensure that you find one that fits your lifestyle and needs.
6. Home features: When buying a home in Manhattan Beach, it's important to consider the features that you want in your new home. Here are some of the key features to think about:
- Outdoor space: Many people in Manhattan Beach enjoy spending time outdoors, so having an outdoor space like a backyard, patio, or balcony can be a big plus. Consider whether you want a space for gardening, entertaining, or just relaxing outside.
- Pool: If you enjoy swimming or want to entertain guests with a pool, you may want to consider a property with a pool. Keep in mind that pools can be expensive to maintain, so be sure to factor in the cost of upkeep when considering this feature.
- Garage: Having a garage can be a big plus in Manhattan Beach, where street parking can be limited. Consider whether you want a two-car or three-car garage, or whether a single-car garage or carport would suffice.
- Updated appliances and finishes: Many homebuyers in Manhattan Beach prefer homes with updated appliances and finishes, like stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and hardwood floors. Consider whether these features are important to you and whether you're willing to pay a premium for them.
- Views: Manhattan Beach is known for its stunning ocean and city views, so having a property with a view can be a big plus. Consider whether you want a property with panoramic views or a property that's set back from the street for added privacy.
- Layout: Finally, consider the layout of the home and whether it meets your needs. Do you want an open-concept living area for entertaining guests? Do you need multiple bedrooms or bathrooms for a growing family? Consider how you will use each room and what your priorities are in terms of layout and functionality.
-Ultimately, the home features that you prioritize will depend on your lifestyle and preferences. Be sure to make a list of your must-haves and use it as a guide when looking at properties. Keep in mind that some features may be easier to add or update than others, so think about what you can live with and what you can't live without.
As a real estate agent in Manhattan Beach, I hope that this guide has been helpful in giving you an overview of the key factors to consider when buying a home in this area. With its six distinct neighborhoods, each offering its own unique features and benefits, Manhattan Beach is a highly sought-after destination for those seeking a luxurious lifestyle by the ocean. By considering factors like your budget, preferred location, property type and size, neighborhood amenities, and home features, you can find the perfect home in Manhattan Beach that meets your needs and fits your lifestyle. As a local expert in the Manhattan Beach real estate market, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and help you find your dream home in this beautiful city.
Luxury Real Estate Advisor | Principal | John Bathurst Group | Founding Member | Compass South Bay | DRE# 01977487
Email: [email protected]
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/JohnBathurstGroup
Google Business Profile: https://bit.ly/3ueBS13