Considering a move to the South Bay area of Los Angeles, California? Here are 15 fun facts about the area that may just seal the deal!
- Did you know the South Bay got it’s name because it located at the Southwest part of the Santa Monica Bay?
- The South Bay consists of 17 cities: Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, El Segundo, Torrance, Palos Verdes Estates Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills Estates, Rolling Hills, Hawthorne, Lawndale, Inglewood, Gardena, Carson, Lomita, Harbor City, San Pedro.
- Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach is known for its gorgeous wide beaches, which span 4 miles along the coastline.
- You can ride your bike from Manhattan Beach north to Marina Del Rey and south to Torrance Beach on the same bike bath. The total distance is 15 miles.
- Hermosa Beach is home to the world's oldest and largest beach volleyball tournament, which has been held annually since 1960.
- Redondo Beach is home to one of the busiest fishing piers in all of California. Anglers can fish for free with a valid California fishing license!
- Palos Verdes Estates is one of the wealthiest cities in all of California, with a median household income of over $200,000 per year.
- Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are home to many celebrities and athletes including Jimmy Kimmel, Vince Vaughn, Zoey Deschanel, Kendrick Lamar,
Maria Sharapova, Marissa Miller, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Strahan and quite a few LA Kings, Lakers and Clippers
- Hermosa Beach was once known as "the ginormous sandpit” and a large portion of Manhattan and Hermosa Beach is built on sand.
- The city of Redondo Beach gets its name because it is shaped like aredo (Spanish for "round”).
- El Segundo is Spanish for "the second," which makes sense when you consider that it was founded in 1911, just two years after the incorporation of Los Angeles.
- Palos Verdes means "green sticks" in Spanish, referring to the area's abundance of native chaparral plants.
- Manhattan Beach was once considered a part of Los Angeles before it was incorporated as its city in 1912.
- Hermosa Beach was originally going to be named "Hermes," after the Greek god, but was ultimately named after the Spanish translation of "beautiful.”
- Palos Verdes Estates was originally developed as a private resort community for Hollywood elites and has remained one of the most affluent cities in California to this day.
Whether you're looking for beautiful beaches, rich history, or ample opportunities for outdoor recreation, South Bay, California, has something for everyone! So if you're considering a move to the area, keep these fun facts in mind—you'll be glad you did!
Luxury Real Estate Advisor | Principal | John Bathurst Group | Founding Member | Compass South Bay | DRE# 01977487
Email: [email protected]
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/JohnBathurstGroup
Google Business Profile: https://bit.ly/3ueBS13